Top » Resources » Reference » Theory » Tuning Systems » Links
- A Beginner's Guide to Temperament - Written by Stephen Bicknell for the electronic mailing list Piporg-l.
- A Tour Up The Harmonic Series - Basic introduction to the Pythagorean circle of fifths and the physical basis for the need for alternative tuning systems.
- Alternate Temperaments: Theory and Philosophy - Introduction to tuning systems, based on the cents system. Written by Terry Blackburn.
- An Atlas of Consonance - The author presents a graphical tool for the visualization of consonance and dissonance, based on an acoustical model of the interaction of musical tones.
- An Introduction to Historical Tunings - On the development of tuning systems in Medieval Europe (Kirnberger, Young, mean-tone systems, etc.)
- Comparison of Temperaments - Table comparing various temperaments, including Equal Temperament, Pythagorean, another natural tuning, two mean-tone tunings, two Well temperaments, two Indian tunings, and two Persian tunings.
- Equal Temperament Tuning - An introduction to equal temperament for guitarists who have problems tuning their guitars.
- Historical Tuning - Includes information on the differences between equal temperament and well temperament and why Bach rejected equal temperament and celebrated well temperament.
- Huygens-Fokker Foundation - Center for microtonal music. Promotes microtonal music in all its forms
- Johann Sebastian Bach: Well Tempered Tuning (Wohltemperirt) - Paper on the history of the tuning system, as well as information about tuning a harpsichord in this system.
- Julian Carrillo and the Thirteenth Sound - (1875-1965), Mexican music creator of the microtonal system called the 13th Sound. He reformed the theory of music, invented a new musical written based in numbers and built instrument capable to produce those small intervals.
- Justonic Tuning Inc. - Pitch Palette software tunes a microtunable synthesizer to just intonation, world scales, historic scales and user scales in real time.
- Keyboard temperament analyzer/calculator - Bradley Lehman - Excel spreadsheet that analyzes keyboard temperaments: gives beat rates for tuning, and harmonic-tension charts in all keys.
- Modes and Scales in Indian Music - Article by David Courtney.
- Pythagorean Tuning and Medieval Polyphony - Article by Margo Schulter.
- Tantrum - Tool for the study of temperament anomalies.
- The Alternate Tuning Internet Mailing List - For exchanging ideas relevant to alternate tunings, including just intonation, paratactical tunings, experimental musical instrument design, and non-standard equal temperaments.
- The Argument for Equal Temperament - Lerdahl's cognitive constraints.
- The History of Musical Tuning and Temperament - Two academic papers, covering music before 1750, and music during the Classical and Romantic periods.
- The Temperamental Bach - Two CD's of works of Bach on Organ and Purcell on Harpsichord with works played and repeated in multiple temperaments.
- Tour up the Harmonic Series, A - Basic introduction to the Pythagorean circle of fifths and the physical basis for the need for alternative tuning systems.
- Tuning and Temperament Bibliography - Huge list of print books, magazines, and journal articles on tuning systems.
- Tuning by Ratios - This paper explores the use of simple ratios to tune musical intervals and chords. Included are a tutorial, a set of computer programs, and a re-tuned two-part invention by J.S. Bach.
- Understanding Temperaments - Tunings used for harpsichords.
- World Scale Depository - Construction of a reference center of scale measurements throughout the world.
This category needs an editor
This category incorporates modified data from the Open Directory Project.
Help build the largest human-edited directory on the web.