Top » Styles » Avant-Garde » Experimental » Fractal Music
- A Fractal in Bach's Cello Suite - An article by Ivars Peterson at the Mathematical Association of America on research appearing in the journal Fractals.
- Applications of Fractal Geometry to the Player Piano Music of Conlon Nancarrow - By Julie Scrivener, from the proceedings of the Bridges 2000 Math/Art conference.
- Brothers Technology: Fractal Music - At the suggestion of Benoit Mandelbrot, Harlan Brothers undertook a rigorous mathmematical treatment of the subject of fractal music. Site includes research, publications, background information, and sound files.
- Dmitry's Research - A recursive approach to composition by Dmitry Kormann, including detailed examples of structural scaling.
- Fractal Geometry Panorama: Voss and Clarke - Michael Frame's entry at the Yale Fractal Geometry site on the work of Richard Voss and John Clarke on 1/f scaling.
- Fractal Geometry of Music - Kenneth and Andrew Hsu found evidence of melodic interval scaling in the works of Bach, Mozart, and a collection of Swiss folk songs.
- Fractal Tempo Fluctuation and Pulse Prediction - Summer Rankin, Edward Large, and Philip Fink investigated temporal fluctuations in piano performance and the prediction of these fluctuations by listeners. Their findings indicated that not only did the sample performances show fractal structure with respect to tempo fluctuation, but also that listeners appeared capable of predicting the variations, consistent with 1/f correlation. [PDF]
- Modelling Complexity in Musical Rhythm - Application of L-systems to the analysis of musical rhythm.
- Multifractal Analyses of Music Sequences - Article in "Physica D: Nonlinear Phenomena" on a multifractal technique for analysis of melodic lines. Abstract available, but subscription required for full text.
- Music from Fractal Noise - An introduction to 1/f scaling in music by Michael Bulmer. Includes demonstrations, exercises, and topics for classroom discussion.
- PubMed Central (PMC): Fractal geometry of music - Kenneth and Andrew Hsu found evidence of melodic interval scaling in the works of Bach, Mozart, and a collection of Swiss folk songs.
- Zipf's Law in Music - Bill Manaris uses stochastic techniques to computationally identify and emphasize aesthetic aspects of music.